Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My Toilet Paper Roll Holder.

I wanted a unique and original toilet paper roll holder for my entry in the Toilet Paper Roll Design competition with in the Crochet Lovers Victoria competition.
I had wire and beads in mind from the very beginning.
First of all I collected the medium that I needed.

I pre strung the wire with the beads.

Then I began to crochet away, beginning with a chained circle and increasing for 3 rows only.
I noticed that this wire was very hard to crochet with and it was scratching up my good no 6 hook. I have crocheted with wire before and I do not remember it being this hard before.
I eventually changed to another no 6 hook and kept going on for the outer side of the holder. I eventually ran out of one whole spool of wire, but I knew I had back up from another spool of wire.
It was not until I used the back up spool that I realized the wire was a thinner gauge. I had been crocheting with 24 gauge wire, I usually crochet with 28 gauge wire and it is much easier on the hands and the hook!
Now I had used that spool of wire too. I had no more back up on hand.
So I just sat the unfinished wire toilet paper cover on the toilet roll, whilst I thought about my next move. Wait and buy more wire, I couldn’t even remember where I had bought it in the first place, or try another medium. Oh yeah sure what could possibly look good with the wire?
Brain storm, try this. Crochet a lacey bottom.

So I did.
With a no 2.5 hook and some fine crochet cotton I made up the design as I went around the out sides.
As it started to take form, I got more and more excited, “this is going to work I thought”.
But my job was not over as I finished my final round.
I must stiffen this lace for it to stay in place for ever.
I wanted the perfect shape, but I knew the glue would stick to the toilet paper roll. So I wrapped the toilet paper roll in glad wrap to prevent this from happening.

Using a mixture of both PVA glue and water slightly heated, I dipped the lace into the mixture and shaped it around the paper roll.

My next step was to sit back and wait for the lace to dry out and hope that it will hold up the wire and beaded top part.
I would venture out side now and then with an egg flip to make sure the cotton was not adhering to the plastic board.

Finally I knew the cotton crocheted part was dry enough, due to the extreme hot weather we have been having. So I removed it from the toilet paper roll and it was upright and sturdy. Yay!

Sharkey the toilet lid cover was now going to have a new friend.
But I really wanted this to match the large toilet paper roll holder and the toilet brush, which is a steel look.
I think it is actually too delicate for this toilet and I know my sister-in-laws bathroom in her holiday house is decked out in all of these colours. So guess where it is headed? Off to Phillip Island where it will truly blend in and show off its unique individuality.

Oh boy it looks good on my kitchen table with all of my stainless steel.
But I do not think that is really an option, do you?


Teresa said...

Cute. TFS

Sherryknit said...

I love the beads. Real Cool how you stifened it too. I am glad Sharkey is still alive too.LOLOLOL

Islagringo said...

Why not on the kitchen table? It would make a good conversation piece!

nima said...

wow..that looks pretty

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Teresa, you are welcome.

Sherryknit, we may be moving house and my hubby says the shark is coming with us, ha,ha,ha.

Islagringo, I agree with you there, you must have good taste and a good sense of humour.

Nima, kind of you to say so.

Let's Go Yarning said...

WOW Cat I really love your toilet issue cover it really matchs the shark toilet. You are a very talent lady :>)

Happy Crocheting Joan,

Nancy W. said...

Too funny. I think you should leave it on your table - without the toilet paper. Maybe you could find a salt crock the exact same size- LOL Anyway, it looks pretty cool

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Hi Joan, thatnks for you comment.

Hi Nancy, glad you think it is funny, I could stuff it with serviette's for a different way of serving them. LOL.

Ana Cristina Bachiega de Castro said...

Hi, my name's Ana from Brazil. Let me tell you, your blog is so cool, plus I love cats and Australia. I dream of going there someday. Visit my blog, I'll be very happy.
Congratulations for you great ideas!!!

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Ana Cristina Bachiega de Castro,
thank you for liking my blog, I'll definately come visit your blog!

Lorraine said...

You are so CREATIVE !! I never even imagined crocheting wire!

Kyle Smith said...

Cool article! More people need to read that! You should put it on Wacanai.com(http://www.wacanai.com/intro). People post all sorts of articles and instructions on how to make cool stuff. You can link your website to it too. When people search for similar stuff on Wacanai your article will pop up. This should drive a lot more traffic to your article. You can even track how much more traffic you are getting because they have a bunch of graphs and stuff that show how many people are reading your article and how many people are using your info.

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Lorraine, thanks so much, although I did not win the design competition, it was so much fun.

Kyle Smith, sounds like a good link I'll check it out, thank you.