Monday, October 22, 2007

Crocheted Boys, Floppy Brimmed Army Hat

<!-- cats-rockin-crochet_crosscol_AdSense1_468x60_as

Floppy Brimmed Army Hat.

Floppy Brimmed Army Hat
-->

Size 2 Hat Pictures


Size 6 Hat Pictures

Materials: 8 ply yarn. (light worsted/ sport) with a camouflage effect.
US terms used
Size: 4.00mm Hook. (US.G/6) (UK 8)
Instructions given for sizes 2 to 10
Pattern tested for size 2 and 6 only
hdc= yarn over hook, insert hook into st, pick up yarn pull through st, (3 loops on hook) pull yarn through all 3 loops.
trbl= yarn over hook, insert hook into st, pick up yarn pull through st, (3 loops on hook) pull yarn through 2 loops, (2 loops on hook) pull yarn through 2 loops again.
I had a 100gm ball of the camouflage effects yarn. I made the size 2 hat first, I used a little bit of the yarn on the toy soldier boy and the rest on the size 6 hat. I knew I was going to run short of this yarn with the size 6 hat, so I used a co-ordinating colour that doubles for a built in hat band.
*Stay tuned for the soldier boy pattern*


Beginning at crownWorking in rounds, do not join. Use a stitch marker to mark rounds or use the tail of the beginning yarn

All sizes.
Ch. 2Rnd 1: Sc 8 sc, in the first loop, 8 sc
Rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around, 16 sc
Rnd 3: *sc in first sc, 2 sc in next sc repeat from * around 24 sc.
Rnd 4: *sc in next 2 sc, 2 sc in next sc, repeat from * around 32 sc.
Rnd 5 and 6: 1 sc in each sc around
Rnd 7: *sc in next 3 sc, 2 sc in next sc repeat from * around; 40 sc.
Rnd 8: *sc in next 4 sc, 2 sc in next sc, repeat from * around 48 sc.
Rnd 9: *sc in next 5 sc, 2 sc in next sc, repeat from * around 56 sc.
Rnd 10: *sc in next 6 sc, 2 sc in next sc, repeat from * around
64 sc. FOR SIZE 2, STOP INCREASING HERE
AND WORK 17 ROWS OF *1 SC IN EACH SC AROUND*. THEN PROCEED TO DIRECTIONS FOR THE BRIM OF THE HAT. (64 SC)
Rnd 11: *sc in next 7 sc, 2 sc in next sc, repeat from * around 72 sc.

(Stop here for size 4 and work 18 rows of sc around, go to brim of hat)
Rnd 12: *sc in next 8 sc, 2 sc in next sc, repeat from * around 80 sc.
FOR SIZE 6, STOP INCREASING HERE
AND WORK 18 ROWS OF *1 SC IN EACH SC AROUND*. THEN PROCEED TO THE DIRECTIONS FOR THE BRIM OF THE HAT

Sizes, 8 and 10 only continue here
Rnd 13: *sc in next 9 sc, 2 sc in next sc, repeat from * around
88 sc (Stop here for size 8 and continue as for size 6)Rnd 14: *sc in next 10 sc, 2 sc in next sc, repeat from * around
96 sc
Rnd 15 to 34: 1 sc in each sc around (do not break off yarn) complete instructions for brim of hat.

Brim of hat
The following rows are all worked in back loops only.
(There is no need for strict accuracy of the amount of sc or hdc stitches, a few extra or less does not matter at this point)

Rnd 1: *hdc in next 4 sc, 2 hdc in next sc, repeat from* around
Rnd 2: *trbl in next 4 hdc, 2 trbl in next hdc, repeat from * around
Rnd 3: *trbl in next 6 trbl, 2 trbl in next trbl, repeat from * around
Rnd 4: *hdc in each trbl around.

Finish off if you are happy with the width of the brim or continue with rnd 3 and 4 of the brim instructions.
See pictures for examples of size 2 and size 6.

Please feel free to use my pattern, but do not copy or sell my pattern.
© Cathy Wood. 2007


21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this hat! And your pattern is right on the money! Its great for everyone! Congrats on writing such a great pattern and sharing it too!

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Thankyou so much for the great wrap. I'm so pleased it has worked well for you. Cheers, Cat.

Sam said...

I just found your floppy hat pattern. I really enjoyed making it for my 2 yearold grandson. I think it is a quick, and easy pattern. Thanks. Can't wait for the soldier.

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Sam ,thanks so much and glad you found the pattern quick and easy to make.
Cheers Cat.

Adia said...

Thank you so much for this pattern.
I have a hard time understanding most patterns(i am left handed) and somehow nothing ends up looking exactly right. This has worked out beautifully..I am almost done with the hat for my daughter. couple more rounds on the brim and a flower added and it will be perfect.

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Adia, you are most welcome, thank you for sharing your experience with us.

Christine said...

I’m one of the editors with AllFreeCrochet.com, a website dedicated to the best free crochet patterns, tips and tutorials. I just wanted to let you know we have linked to your pattern at http://www.allfreecrochet.com/HatsforChildren/Boys-Floppy-Brimmed-Army-Hat and I think it's a great pattern! I would absolutely love to feature this in an upcoming newsletter as I know our readers would just love it. It will also bring traffic to your site as well. If you have any other patterns you would like us to link to our feature in newsletters please let me know.

Please let me know if this is okay.

Thanks!

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Hello Christine, I am all for sharing my free patterns, I'm glad that you will feature this one and I hope that there is many more that you may like, cheers Cat :)

Anonymous said...

I really like this pattern but i have a question regarding the shape? I am getting it like a hexagon after 32 from round it goes to hexagon shape...
Is it Ok or i am doing something wrong?
I will appreciate if you can reply.

-Thanks

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Are you joining your rounds? If so it will shape up like that, but that shape should go away once you stop increasing, cheers Cat

Anonymous said...

i love your patterns could you please let me know the patter for the soldier its amazing thnks and once again i love your work awsome job :)

cats-rockin-crochet said...

The soldier is an amigurumi pattern that I found some where on line, it was not a soldier as I found it, but just a toy pattern, then I added the soldier colors :)

Robin said...

I really like this pattern and want to make one for my 6 year old nephew. Can you tell me which size would be best for a 6 yr old?

cats-rockin-crochet said...

the size 6 instructions are highlighted in red within the patterns instructions, Cheers Cat.

Joseph Miller said...

I made the hat for my grandson--it worked up great and will look so cute on him. Did you ever write out the toy soldier pattern? I would love to make it from my leftover yarn.

cats-rockin-crochet said...

thanks Joseph, no I did not write up a pattern for the soldier, cheers Cat.

Anonymous said...

Hi. Thanks for lovely pattern. I'm not American or Britain so I need help. Is size 2 suitable for year- and- half- aged boy?Thanks in advance.

cats-rockin-crochet said...

I'm sure it would be okay, I'm not British or American either, I'm a true blue Aussie and you? cheers Cat from Australia, Victoria.

Gail Bienstock said...

Love the pattern and have a very excited 6 year old waiting for the results. Confused about what you mean about not joining. Do you continue in the round but just not join and chain, or is it a "back and forth" process that gets joined somewhere later in the process (didn't see directions for later joining.) As you can tell from the question, I'm new to this and really want to get it right for my grandson.
Thanks!
Gail

Cathy Wood said...

Hi Gail, yes you continue in the round but just not join and chain, I hope your grandson enjoys his hat :)

Anonymous said...

Thx I love this pattern��