Saturday, November 22, 2008

Yarn Winder Variations

I want a yarn winder, so I have been checking on what is up for auction on ebay.
I did my research first of all and knew there abouts what I needed/wanted.
Below is the yarn winder I have placed a bid on, I saw a used one that was similar marked GC, but this is new, so it must be excellent condition. Postage was a similar price and my bid price is way below what the other one went for. It has about 20hrs to go.

My purpose for the yarn winder is to join all of my scrap yarn and winding it into a ball. The balls once made, allow you to use the yarn from the centre of the ball, which I love doing.



Now while I was looking I came across some strange looking yarn winders.

This one is described as a Jumbo Ball Winder with Tension Guide.

Buy it now US $117.99 plus P&H. Holds up to 500gms.

Description:
Wooden Strauch Jumbo Ball Winder- Big -up to 1 lb yarn. Buy It now price US $98.00 plus P&H.



Description:
Vintage Singer Knitting Machine Wool Winder & Row Counter. Starting bid GBP 4.99

In Good Used Condition

Description:
Vintage..Watson`s Wool Winder Made from Bakerlite with Metal clips in very good cond.
Clips on to your table. Starting bid AU $9.00


Description:
Vintage Wooden Yarn Winder Homespun Needlecraft. Starting bid US $9.76

How do you think this one could possibly wind yarn? I thought it may be a type of swift, which I only recently heard about, but still do not know what they are good for!

Description of the swift: Which is pictured below if you are a first time viewer of them like I was a couple of weeks ago.
New Wooden (Birch) Swift Yarn Winder Umbrella Medium. Current bid: US $41.00 To see this swift in action, see the youtube video below.






It's another unusual swift!

Schacht Goko Yarn Swift Skein Winder. Starting bid US $75.00. This traditional Japanese swift spins easily on its wooden base. Holds up to 8 ounce skeins. Adjustable for skeins with 55" to 63" circumference. Comes apart for shipping

Well I suppose we have come along way since these were made at the turn of the century
Sweet little yarn or thread winder in Swedish birch wood late 19 early 20th. century. In a very good condition with a nice patina! The weight is 140 gr. and it's approx. 6" (150mm.) high, diameter of the base 3.5"(85mm.) the "yarn collectors" 2.4" (60mm.) x 4.3" (110 mm.)
Current bid: US $9.99







I would have thought this one to be a rolling pin! LOL.
BRAND NEW HANDCRAFTED PINE NOSTEPINNE/WOOL WINDER,MEASURES 10"LONG 3 1/2" DIA AROUND WIDEST PART OF PIN, MAKES UP TO 100G BALL OF WOOL. Buy it now price: GBP 2.95
Thanks to JC for the link.

This is what you call a niddy noddy.

Home made niddy noddy, directions how to make it here.

I hope you found this post a little bit interesting and different.