Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A New Addiction. Tunisian/Afghan Crochet.

My extremely new experience with Tunisian crochet may be of a help to others who are trying this method first hand too. Below is a picture of my hook, which is called an afghan hook. It is a size AU 5 mm (US 8). It measures about 13 inches long and has a hook on one end and a stopper on the other end, it's cross between a crochet hook and a knitting needle. You can use a normal crochet hook for smaller Tunisian projects.
The starting off method is just like crochet, chain the amount of stitches that you need.
But now it looks like knitting once you have completed the forward pass, by picking up a loop and pulling your yarn through the loop and keeping every single loop on your hook.
Now this is the return row, pull yarn through 1 st first, then pull yarn through 2 stitches at a time until you reach the end of the row.
On the forward pass row, this is the front loop you will pull your yarn through.
This is a sample of the tunisian crochet stitch after a few rows.
Just as in crochet and knit, Tunisian crochet has several types of stitches you can use. Below I have alternated rows of TSS (tunisian simple stitch) and TPS ( tunisian pearl stitch), this pattern makes for a nice closed stitch and I believe is very popular for dish cloths.


Now before I began to making any thing I went to youtube and watched a couple of good video clips. So I sat down and tried it, but some thing was very wrong. When Katie had given me a quick lesson last Saturday, she was picking up the very top loop only and said that is how it is done. I picked 2 you tube video's to watch, which were informative. But I got more confused, why is my Tunisian crochet looking like I have just knitted a few rows, so I tried what Katie had shown me and there was the Tunisian look that I had wanted. I went and watched the videos once again and realised there is Tunisian Knit and Tunisian Crochet. Tunisian Crochet picks up a single front loop, where as Tunisian Knit goes through the middle, out to the back and picks up the loop and draws it out to the front, 2 very different methods. I had been watching a crochet and a knit video, no wonder I was confused. I have also come across some very good video clips on next stitch.

Crochet Afghan Tunisian Stitch - Part 1.



Crochet Afghan Tunisian Stitch - Part 2



You Tube Tunisian Knit