Click on the picture for this pattern

Click on the picture for this pattern
Click on the picture for this pattern

Monday, August 22, 2011

Crochet Crocodile Stitch Adult Hat pattern

Below, pattern tester Elizabeth Parsons, thank you Beth.
 Below Pattern tester, Joan Donaldson, thank you Joan.

 I ran out of the color I began making my hat in, so  I switched colors to a green, it kind of reminded me of a strawberry, so I ended up adding some leaves and a lady bug for a quirky hat.

Size small to medium/ if you want a larger hat use a larger hook
Main color approx 100 gm’s
Hook size 4.00 mm. US G/6
Yarn, 8 ply. US 4 ply
US terms used through out pattern
St’s used:
Sl st = slip stitch
Ch = chain
Hdc foundation row= half double crochet foundation row
Fpdc= front post double crochet crocodile st, Special st see note
Dc= double crochet
Skill= Intermediate
Time=leisurely 4 hours
PLEASE READ ALL NOTES:

You will need to know how to make a hdc foundation row prior to beginning your hat.
Your hat will begin at the bottom of the hat edge

Special st: the crocodile st is worked over the 2 dc’s that are made together in the 1 dc. 5 fpdc are worked around the 1st dc, then another 5 fpdc worked around the 2nd dc. To work your 1 st, 5 fpdc you must turn your working piece side ways to the right, so you will work your 5 fpdc side on from the top of the post downwards. When working the other side, you will turn your working piece side ways to the left, so you will work your 5 fpdc side on from the bottom of the post and upwards







 Row 1: make a hdc foundation row of 72, sl st to form a circle into the top of the ch of the first hdc (72 hdc)

Picture, should be set up row 2


Set up Round:
Row 2: ch 4, skip 2 hdc’s, work 2 dc’s in next hdc, ch1, skip 2 hdc’s, *work 1 dc in next hdc, ch 1, skip 2 hdc’s, work 2 dc’s in next hdc, ch 1, skip 2 hdc’s* repeat from *to* to end, sl st to top of beginning ch 3 to join round (12 x 1dc, 12 x 2 dc’s)

Pattern Round:
Row 3: work 1 sc in same space as join,  work 5 fpdc down the next dc, work 5 fpdc up the next dc, *work a sl st into the next dc, work 5 fpdc down the next dc, work 5 fpdc up the next dc,* repeat from *to* to end, sl st into the sc space to join round

Set up Round:
Row 4: ch 3, work 1 dc in same space as ch 3, ch 1, work 1 dc in the centre space of the 10 fpdc’s, ch 1,  *work 2 dc in the sl st space, ch 1, work 1 dc in the centre space of the 10 fpdc’s, ch 1* repeat from *to* to end, do not join, see next row

Picture should be set up round 4


Pattern Round:
Row 5: do not join, go straight into the pattern stitch thus so, work 5 fpdc down the next dc, work 5 fpdc up the next dc, *work a sl st into the next dc, work 5 fpdc down the next dc, work 5 fpdc up the next dc, work a sl st into the next dc,* repeat from *to* to end, sl st into the ch 1 space



Special note: the pattern of the hat does begin to tighten up by this stage, so you will be chaining 2 now instead of 1:

Set up Round:
Row 6: ch 3, work 1 dc in same space as ch 3, ch 2, work 1 dc in the centre space of the 10 fpdc’s, ch 2,  *work 2 dc in the sl st space, ch 2, work 1 dc in the centre space of the 10 fpdc’s, ch 2* repeat from *to* to end,


Pattern Round:
Row 7: repeat Row 5:

Set up Round:
Row 8: Repeat Row 6:

Continue working in pattern sequence until your work measures approx 5.5 inches long, ending on a pattern row

Decreasing for the crown of the hat: You will not be making a ch 1 or ch 2 for the first decrease row:

Set up Round: Decrease: decrease is made by omitting the ch 2
Row 1: ch 3, work 1 dc in same space as ch 3, work 1 dc in the centre space of the 10 fpdc’s, *work 2 dc in the sl st space, work 1 dc in the centre space of the 10 fpdc’s,* repeat from *to* to end,

Pattern Round:
Row 2: do not join, go straight into the pattern stitch thus so, work 5 fpdc down the next dc, work 5 fpdc up the next dc, *work a sl st into the next dc, work 5 fpdc down the next dc, work 5 fpdc up the next dc, work a sl st into the next dc,* repeat from *to* to end, sl st into the ch 1 space

Decreasing for this row: If we think of our pattern st as a clock, we have 12 crocodile stitches around, we will make our decrease in the set up row at the 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock positions = 2 decreases:

Set up Round: Decrease
Row 3: ch 3, work 1 dc in same space as ch 3, work 1 dc in the centre space of the 10 fpdc’s, work 2 dc in the sl st space, work a dc decrease in the space of the next 2, 10 fpdc’s (you will be skipping over the sl st space as you do this), (work 2 dc in the next sl st space, work 1 dc in the centre space of the 10 fpdc’s), 5 times, work 2 dc in the next sl st space, work a dc decrease in the space of the next 2, 10 fpdc’s (you will be skipping over the sl st space as you do this), (work 2 dc in the next sl st space, work 1 dc in the centre space of the 10 fpdc’s), 2 more times


Pattern Round: sl st into the dc decrease as normal
Row 4: do not join, go straight into the pattern stitch thus so, work 5 fpdc down the next dc, work 5 fpdc up the next dc, *work a sl st into the next dc, work 5 fpdc down the next dc, work 5 fpdc up the next dc, work a sl st into the next dc,* repeat from *to* to end, sl st into the ch 1 space

Set up Round: Decrease = 2 decreases
Row 5: ch 3, work 1 dc in same space as ch 3, work 1 dc in the centre space of the 10 fpdc’s, work 2 dc in the sl st space, work a dc decrease in the space of the next 2, 10 fpdc’s (you will be skipping over the sl st space as you do this), (work 2 dc in the next sl st space, work 1 dc in the centre space of the 10 fpdc’s), 4 times, work 2 dc in the next sl st space, work a dc decrease in the space of the next 2, 10 fpdc’s (you will be skipping over the sl st space as you do this), (work 2 dc in the next sl st space, work 1 dc in the centre space of the 10 fpdc’s), 1 more time

Pattern Round: sl st into the dc decrease as normal
Row 6: do not join, go straight into the pattern stitch thus so, work 5 fpdc down the next dc, work 5 fpdc up the next dc, *work a sl st into the next dc, work 5 fpdc down the next dc, work 5 fpdc up the next dc, work a sl st into the next dc,* repeat from *to* to end, sl st into the ch 1 space

Set up Round: Decrease = 2 decreases
Row 7: ch 3, work 1 dc in same space as ch 3, work a dc decrease in the space of the next 2, 10 fpdc’s (you will be skipping over the sl st space as you do this), (work 2 dc in the next sl st space, work 1 dc in the centre space of the 10 fpdc’s),3 times, work 2 dc in the next sl st space, work a dc decrease in the space of the next 2, 10 fpdc’s (you will be skipping over the sl st space as you do this), work 2 dc in the next sl st space, work 1 dc in the centre space of the 10 fpdc’s,


Pattern Round: sl st into the dc decrease as normal
Row 8: do not join, go straight into the pattern stitch thus so, work 5 fpdc down the next dc, work 5 fpdc up the next dc, *work a sl st into the next dc, work 5 fpdc down the next dc, work 5 fpdc up the next dc, work a sl st into the next dc,* repeat from *to* to end, sl st into the ch 1 space


Set up Round: Decrease = 3 decreases
Row 9: ch 3, work 1 dc in same space as ch 3, work a dc decrease in the space of the next 2, 10 fpdc’s (you will be skipping over the sl st space as you do this), work 2 dc in the next sl st space, work a dc decrease in the space of the next 2, 10 fpdc’s (you will be skipping over the sl st space as you do this), work 2 dc in the next sl st space, work a dc decrease in the space of the next 2, 10 fpdc’s (you will be skipping over the sl st space as you do this)

Pattern Round: sl st into the dc decrease as normal
Row 10: do not join, go straight into the pattern stitch thus so, work 5 fpdc down the next dc, work 5 fpdc up the next dc, *work a sl st into the next dc, work 5 fpdc down the next dc, work 5 fpdc up the next dc, work a sl st into the next dc,* repeat from *to* to end, sl st into the ch 1 space ( 3 crocodile st’s only), break off yarn leaving a tail to sew opening closed, turn hat in side out and thread around opening then pull thread closed.

You will need to sew up the small gap in the beginning hdc foundation row as well


 Crochet Baby Petal Beanie Tutorial - Crocodile Scale Stitch - Part 1 of 7



Please do not sell my pattern or claim it as your own. You can make and sell items from my hat pattern, I would be most pleased if this pattern was used for a charitable event. I would love to see your completed items.

I hope that you have found these instructions useful.
Please like me on face book or and comment on my face book page for more user information.
I am always more than happy to help.

The Crocodile Scarf Video tutorial

57 comments:

xonecent@sbcglobal.net said...

Thank you for your excellent explanation of the crocodile stitch! I bought a pattern using it on Etsy last year and couldn't for the life of me figure it out! Now I'm going to teach it to my crochet group friends!

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Excellent! I'm going to put up a link to a childs crocodile stitch video tutorial too :)

Denise said...

excellent pattern hope to make it soon for the winter time ty for sharing your skills.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great pattern, explanation and, most of all, video Cat. Can't wait to make one of these for my granddaughter. She's kind of picky about hats, but this is SO cool. Congrats on this and the one piece baby sweater getting on All Free Crochet. :) Gran3 (Sharon)

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Thanks for your feed back, hey Sharon so nice to see you :)

Anonymous said...

I can't figure this part out:
Set up Round: Decrease

Row 3: ch 3, work 1 dc in same space as ch 3, work 1 dc in the centre space of the 10 fpdc’s, work 2 dc in the sl st space, work a dc decrease in the space of the next 2, 10 fpdc’s (you will be skipping over the sl st space as you do this), (work 2 dc in the next sl st space, work 1 dc in the centre space of the 10 fpdc’s), 5 times, work 2 dc in the next sl st space, work a dc decrease in the space of the next 2, 10 fpdc’s (you will be skipping over the sl st space as you do this), (work 2 dc in the next sl st space, work 1 dc in the centre space of the 10 fpdc’s), 2 more times

How do I do the DC decrease?

cats-rockin-crochet said...

work a dc decrease in the space of the next 2, (you will be skipping over the sl st space as you do this)

cyndeeh said...

do you have a pattern using the crocodile stitch for a scarf?

cats-rockin-crochet said...

cyndeeh, you will find one on youtube, cheers Cat :)

Redsifut said...

thank you for excellent pattern.

Diana Jiron Graff said...

This looks sooo complicated but I can't wait to try it out, thank you for all the explanations and the video, I will link back to you if I succeed in making this hat for my little girl ;) thanks!

Anonymous said...

What a great site you have. All Free Crochet linked to your site’s crocodile stitch hat. I have been eyeing the croc stitch trying to figure it out mentally from photos on line. About the only thing that effort did for me was cause me go mental! Thanks for sharing your wisdom with the world. John

Mary Lewis said...

Absolutely gorgeous! What a wonderful video and instructions. Thanks!

sue wieloch said...

That was great! I keep seeing this pattern but had no idea how to start it. Thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this pattern! You have a great website.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pattern, you have a great website!

Lee Ann said...

Thank you! I want to try this stitch soon! :) :)
Lee Ann
Crochet...Gotta Love It!

connie said...

i so love this pattern, can't wait to get started.

sharon said...

i am SO INSPIRED lol i ve made several hats and i m going to make the scarf next , saw this stitch in a cowl hoody type thingy and i want to make that one for me soooooooooooooo bad , now ive got to figure out the pattern, and im sending this link to all my friends i love it so much,,,,,,
thank you so much
sharon in tenn,

Chersmom said...

Love this crocodile stitch hat pattern and hope to make it for a niece for Christmas. Has this ever been reduced in size for an 18" (American Girl) doll? I would love to make matching hats for a girl (almost adult-size) and her doll.

Michelle said...

this is a complete and total rip off of the hat design by Bonita Patterns. You are aware that you are not allowed to use their patterns as your own, or give away the pattern.

Its incredibly rude and uncool for you to take credit for someone elses work. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I'm contacting the designer right now about this post.

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Chersmom, try using the video tutorial for the dolls hat it is a smaller version :)

Vi said...

tigerv8 love this crocodile stitch pattern I would try and doing it today and see if I can follow good!

Albertine said...

Hi Cathy,

I translated this pattern to Dutch and was excited to start. But where I was afraid of came true. I chained 72 to see if it would fit and it doesn't. I crochet loosely with a 5mm hook and still it's too small. I'm missing about 10 cm.
I could make it 2 scales bigger, but then the decreasing will not be correct. I don't have a bigger hook and I don't want to mess up your pattern.
What can I do? I like the hat SO much!

Kind regards from The Netherlands

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Albertine? what ply yarn are you using? that may be your problem.

Lita Marie said...

Thank youfor this wonderful Pattern.
I have made 4 of them in different colors.

Albertine said...

Hi Cathy,

I want to let you know, that I no what the problem is. My crochet hook is not 5 mm even though it says so. So I bought a real 5 mm hook and that works a lot better ;). So problem solved!
Bye.

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Excellent Albertine :)

Jeannette said...

I've had so many compliments on this hat! I made mine in green and decorated it with mini-ornaments, so I look like a Christmas tree! I'll try to post a picture for you.
Thanks!

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Wow! sounds great Jeanette :)

cedar said...

Great teaching video, so clear and you talked and moved so precisely and slowly it was a joy to learn from this...thanks so much. My hat is looking good and is much quicker to do than I imagined....it has me believing I am really a crocheter.....lol

hollywddeb said...

How do I print this pattern. I am not always at my computer when I crochet...

cats-rockin-crochet said...

copy and paste the instructions to a word document, you can also choose your own size font and style when you do this :)

Mel said...

Hi, I've hardly crocheted since primary school and I want to make sure I'm not doing doubles when I'm meant to be doing triples. I saw an hdc in the pattern, does that mean you're using US terminology, not UK/AUS? Are the fpdc done with a yo before inserting the hook being the post? Thanks.

cats-rockin-crochet said...

US terms used through out pattern.
Are the fpdc done with a yo before inserting the hook being the post? YES....Thank you :)Mel

D. Carlen said...

LOVE your crocodile hat. When I saw the stitch, it reminded me of an old-timey rubber swim cap that was decorated with flowers and leaves, and absolutely screamed "HAT" to me. Thanks for the post. Donna

Anonymous said...

Anyone know how to reverse the scales? I want to use the crocodile stitch on each end of a scarf.

Anonymous said...

Anyone know how to reverse the scales?

cats-rockin-crochet said...

You could try making 2 individual straight pieces (instead of circular), then attach them to the bottoms of your scarf. I think Teresa has a scarf on you tube, good luck :)

Anonymous said...

u r awesome! what will happen if i use a 10mm hook

cats-rockin-crochet said...

thank you :) a 10 mm hook will make your stitches larger and your hat will be much bigger.

JennyB said...

Hello! I came across this pattern just love it! I am the editor of AllFreeCrochet.com and would love to feature your tutorial on my site with full credit to you. I know my readers would love it as well, and in return would generate some nice traffic to your site. If you agree and would like us to feature your project, our readers will simply click the link to your blog to get your full tutorial. It's really that simple. Please let me know if this would be ok. I look forward to hearing from you!
Jenny
Jbenoit@primecp.com

cats-rockin-crochet said...

JennyB, not a problem! thank you Cat XX00

mamagriz said...

Hi, How can I print the Crocodile hat pattern without all the pictures? Thanks
Johna

cats-rockin-crochet said...

You can copy and paste the instructions to a word document on your computer. Cheers Cat.

Unknown said...

Mamagriz, you can go to File, Save as and then make sure you select "TXT" in the drop down box. It will save it where you designate under the name you choose. Just make sure to remember where you saved it...IE will save it for you, without the pics and just text.

ILLUSIONS said...

Hi Cat.. i made this beanie today. thank you for the great instructions.. it looks great.. however it looks funny when i wear it :P its probably just me :P
I used a 5.0 mm hook, and it's tight for me..

thanks for this beautiful design!

Terrie said...

This looks so cute!

Not sure however I could do it quite yet have just started crocheting 7months ago, although I can do a crocodile stitch just not sure about the rest just yet. But i am pinning it for the future when the patteren doesn't look so over whelming. :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this pattern! I've been looking all over for a hat pattern.I seem to have the hang of the way the stitch works but now i'm stuck on a problem: because the fabric bends, the scales open up/stick out and the gaps in the foundation row become visible between them. The scales on your picture seem to lay closed/neatly on top of each other and no gaping holes are visible. I have tried different sized hooks and different yarns but i can't figure out what i should change. It seems like my scales are too small or something.

Cathy Wood said...

are you using US or UK/AU terms, sounds like your stitch size is too small, it's a US dc, if you are using the US dc, try it with a triple and see what happens, hoe this helps :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for the help! I'm from the Netherlands so I wasn't aware of the difference between US and UK/AUS terminology. I'll look into this now and will try out the "tripple". Thank you so much for saving my project :)

bevq said...

Cute pattern! Thanks for linking to my. Website, bevscountrycottage ... Bev

melange81 said...

Wonderful pattern. I'm making it for a friend of mine (in camo-variegated yarn - that's the kind of girl she is!). I did fine until I got to this point:

Decreasing for this row: If we think of our pattern st as a clock, we have 12 crocodile stitches around, we will make our decrease in the set up row at the 3 o’clock and 9 o’clock positions = 2 decreases:

For Set up Round: Decrease - do I: ch 3, work 1 dc in same space as ch 3, work 1 dc in the center space of the 10 fpdc’s, work 2 dc in the sl st space, work 1 dc in the center space of the 10 fpdc's, skip the next sl st space, work 1 dc in the center space of the 10 fpdc's. Is that the correct way to do a Set up Round: Decrease? I understand about not putting any kind of stitch into the skipped sl st space, but somehow the spacing of the "scales" (10 fpdc) end up being wrong.

At the end of the first decrease round, should I have 10 scales? Then the next decrease round, 8 scales? Etc?

I'm definately confused and would appreciate any help.

Cathy Wood said...

melange? if I were you I'd stop and have a breather, then go back to the row you are confused with and read it step by step and crochet slowly as you read it. I have not made this myself in quite some time and I'm on some strong meds for pain and it takes my concentration from me, but there are 2 decreases on that row, sorry i could not help you as much as I normally would, but I'm in a bit of a bother being in so much pain.

melange81 said...

Sorry to hear that you're in so much pain - I know that's no fun. Thanks for your words; I'll muddle through.

catbalou99 said...

What a lovely hat! Had a couple of problems with the pattern but was my own fault for and worked it out by paying stricter attention. However, one thing I did find (likely my own fault as well) was that in order to finish with an adult size hat I had to use a 5.5 mm hook with the 4 ply yarn. I made the first one in mint green which is lovely and am now working on a varigate of jewel colors which is going to turn out absolutely gorgeous...love the varigate colors for this project. Thank you for this wonderful pattern!!

Cathy Wood said...

Well done catbalou, would love to see your hat somehow :)