Thursday, May 19, 2011

Cat’s One Piece Wonder Bootie Pattern



Cat’s One Piece Baby Bootie
To fit newborn

Width of sole approx 3 inches, height with cuff up, from top to sole, approx 3.5 inches

one piece bootie pattern
Suzanne Ivie Willis made all of these for charity, I'm so chuffed to see the picture, thank you so much for sharing. 
one piece baby bootie

My dear sweet grand daughter is wearing the one piece diaper cover, matching one piece sweater and booties here, she is 2 weeks old and her name is Cindy.
Designed to match Cat's One Piece Wonder Sweater 0 to 3 months here

3 to 6 months one piece free sweater pattern here

Free pattern, matching one piece diaper cover

Love this set from Rachelle, she has teamed the one piece bootie, with my baby rails free crochet baby hat pattern

Experience: beginner +
To fit new born
Hook size: 3 mm
Yarn 8 ply approx 20 gm
US terms used
Time to make, approx 2 hours
Medium tension
Stitches used:
Ch
Sc
Back loop sc
Front post dc
Back post dc

Introduction:
Bootie is worked in one piece, beginning at the top of the cuff, down 1 side of the leg, heel and foot part, then the other side of the leg part and up to the other top of the cuff. 
The cuff has a simple ribbed look by using the bpdc and fpdc st.

Special notes:
The turning ch 3 is the first st of each and every row
Do not break off yarn until the final row, leaving your self a long length of yarn to sew up booties

To begin ch 11
First side
Row 1. work 1 dc in 4th ch from hook and in each ch across (9 st’s,) ch 3 and turn (the turning ch 3 is the first st of each and every row)

*( ribbing)* Row 2. work 1 bpdc around the post of the next dc, *work 1 fpdc around the post of the next dc, work 1 bpdc around the post of the next dc*,  rep from *to* to last dc, work 1 dc in the top of the ch 3, (9 st’s) ch 3 and turn
Row 3. work 1 dc in the back loop of each dc across, work 1 dc in the top of the ch 3, (9 st’s), ch 3 and turn

Rows 4. and 5. (repeat row 3), at the end of row 5 ch 7, (instead of the ch 3)

Foot part
Row 6. work 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook, work 1 dc in next 5 ch, work 1 dc in the back loop of the next 8 dc, work 1 dc in the top of the ch 3,  ch 3 and turn ( 1 sc, 14 dc, 15 st’s total)
Row 7. work 1 dc in the back loop of the next 13 dc. Work 1 sc in the back loop of the last sc, ch 1 and turn
Row 8. work 1 sc in the back loop of the next sc, work 1 dc in the back loop of the next 13 dc, work 1 dc in the top of the ch 3, ch 1 and turn

Middle of Sole:
Row 9. work 1 sc in the back loop of each st across, ch 1 and turn (15 sc)

Foot Part:

Row 10. work 1 sc in the back loop of the next sc, work 1 dc in the back loop of the next 14 sc, ch 3 and turn ( 1 sc, 14 dc, 15 st’s total)
Row 11. work 1 dc in the back loop of the next 13 dc. Work 1 sc in the back loop of the last sc, ch 1 and turn
Row 12. work 1 sc in the back loop of the next sc, work 1 dc in the back loop of the next 13 dc, work 1 dc in the top of the ch 3, ch 3 and turn

Opposite Side:

Row 13. work 1 dc in the back loop of the next 8 dc, ch 3 and turn ( 9 st’s)
Row 14. work 1 dc in the back loop of each dc across, work 1 dc in the top of the ch 3, ch 3 and turn
Row 15. work 1 dc in the back loop of each dc across, work 1 dc in the top of the ch 3, ch 3 and turn
Row 16. work 1 dc in the back loop of each dc across, work 1 dc in the top of the ch 3, ch 3 and turn

*ribbing* 
Row 17. work 1 fpdc around the post of the next dc, *work 1 bpdc around the post of the next dc, work 1 fpdc around the post of the next dc, * repeat from *to* 2 times more, work 1 dc in the top of the ch 3, break off yarn leaving your self enough yarn to sew around the entire bootie


To sew up one piece bootie, it is best not to crochet the bootie closed, a simple whip st makes a finer finish for the inside of the bootie, gentle on the baby's feet.
Sew one piece bootie up all in one go, pick the side you like the best to show on the out side, then make the fold so that is on the in side of the bootie. Sew down the side of the leg, across the top of the foot around the toe part, run the yarn neatly through the middle of the sole (row 9 in pattern), then continue to sew up the other leg side, secure yarn and finish off.
Turn the one piece bootie right side out, turn the little cuff over and there you have it.
You can finish off with some ribbon or a length of chain threaded through through the row above the foot piece or any where of your liking.

 I thought you may like some insight in how I planned this one piece bootie, firstly I did a simple sketch of what I had in mind, I did make a bootie off the  top sketch but is was like one of those Christmas stockings you make, so I had to refine it with a bit of shape and I made the bootie off the second sketch after I refined that a little more too.
Good luck with your bootie, I’d love to hear your feed back.

Check out the video tutorial for these by Bobwilson123, be sure to give her the thumbs up, better still subscribe to her you tube video tutorials, new tutorials up loaded weekly.



If you liked these, you may also like the free pattern for the
 The Amazing Top Down, No Sew, 8 Row, Bootie Pattern


Please do not sell this pattern, please link back to me if you use this one piece bootie pattern, I’d love to see this used for charity, and you can make and sell items from this pattern too.

Google

75 comments:

Z of ZKNITZ said...

These booties are so cute!

It's kind of funny, I just started some booties, just out of boredom. Something I saw on YouTube.

Anyway, thanks for the explanations and patterns on these.

Chantal said...

I have been looking for newborn bootie tutorial and others were always too big. These are perfect. So tiny and cute. Thank-you so much!!

Jessie said...

i love this pattern!! i'm new to crochet and expecting a baby girl in 6 short weeks :o) i followed your instructions but my yarn is not the right size nor is my needle but they still turned out great! i am going to get the right size needle and yarn and make another pair in another color for my baby girl to wear when she makes her grand arrival :o)

busybee said...

I live in the U.S. not sure what size crochet hook to use

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Busybee, I'm sue it's one size smaller then the G/6 cheers Cat

mars817 said...

I've always been afraid of patterns, but using your pattern and the youtube video I have made a bootie. I think it looks great except when I fold it to sew it together it's not symmetrical. It looks like it's the same in yours but I'm wondering if I made a mistake or not. Basically if you were to trace a line around, on side has a ridge the other side a depression. I went back and I think I followed the you tube tutorial exactly so just wondering if this is how it is supposed to be or what I did wrong. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

first I would like to say thanks for putting the video up,I can do the basic stitch but had never tried anything as beautiful as the bootie.I made my first one and it gave me so much confidance,I just can't wait for more.Thanks so much,because I don't have much self esteem,but this has helped like you would not belive thank you,thank you.freida

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Thank you all, I am so glad this has helped you :)

Lisa said...

cant wait to learn to crochet a baby bootie. I have never crocheted more than an baby blanket. I have never even seen a crochet "pattern" but Im going to attempt this soon and will have the results on my own blog hopefully. THANKS!

Lisa said...

I cant wait to try and crochet baby booties useing your pattern. I have never attempted this. I have only made one baby blanket by crochet. I hope it works out for me and I will then post my results on my own blog too. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the great photos with the pattern. I skipped a row and looking at the picture showed me exactly where. My grandbaby looks so cute in these! Do you have any suggestions on how to enlarge the pattern as she grows?

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Thank you Lisa :) Anonymous, you could always try a larger size hook, but as they do get bigger, they tend to loose their cuteness believe it or not :)

Andrea said...

Andrea said.....
I love this pattern, because I have a baby shower to attend and this pattern make wonderful gift. I have learn to crochet from a coworker and it is just wonderful. Thanks a lot forthis great pattern.

Anonymous said...

Hi. I really like this pattern and have just made some baby booties with it. I was just wondering how easily it could be adapted for an adult sock? Have you got any hints on that front? Thanks so much for posting the pattern.
Carmen
carmenvm@web.de

cats-rockin-crochet said...

there are similar patterns for an adult for free on the internet, but when I did try and make these larger, they lost their cuteness :)

tammkey said...

do you have a printable version?

brenda said...

this is so adorable. i just finished sewing up my first one. i didnt really know how to do the post crochet for the ribbing so it is nearly all just double crocheted, but it came out so cute. i think my sister in law will really appreciate the time i put into it. i even put the little string through so they can tie it to make it fit just right.
thanks very much!! your pictures/labels really helped a lot.

cats-rockin-crochet said...

copy and paste to a word document for printing :) cheers

tammkey said...

My first booty ever and it was easy. It seems small on the foot part. Any suggestions?

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Tammkey, it is a small bootie, but some yarns will have a bit of stretch, well done!

bevq said...

These look so much like my Bev's Very Easy Booties but they are made 'sideways'! Cool idea!
Bev's VERY easy baby booties I do have an adult version of mine too as I saw someone was interested in a larger size.
Adult sized booties

cats-rockin-crochet said...

well done Bev and thank you :)

Vixon Joyce Monk said...

Hey there, I love your stuff on here and tried out the cardigan :) Im gonna try and do these booties for a 6 month baby (friends baby) but I noticed these are for newborns... what should I do? xx

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Hello Vixon Joyce Monk, I'm afraid you will have to find another pattern for booties, this pattern looses it's cute factor when made larger, thanks for your lovely feed back :)

Happy Granny crocheter said...

I cannot thank you enough for these wonderful patterns. I made the sweater, booties, and diaper cover for my new great-granddaughter. I made them all pink, with white trim. They were a big hit with the new mother and grandmother! At first the pattern looked hard, but it was so easy! I will be making many more of these sets. I had so much fun making them! Thank you for such an easy pattern!!!

cats-rockin-crochet said...

How wonderful! thank you Happy Granny, I love hearing feed back :)

Crochet Eve said...

This is such a wonderful pattern! Thank you so much for sharing! I just finished one pair and I love them! I'm going to make more in different colors and sizes. This is the first pattern I actually followed through :) I'm terrified of patterns! Have been crocheting since I was a little girl but never learn to actually read them, I work without them. Now I'm pregnant and needed a pattern to know the size of the bootie. I will definitely try the sweater and diaper cover. New follower, thanks again. Have a nice day!

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Eve, firstly thank you :) I know what you mean about not using a pattern, they can be so intimidating, I find pictured processes or video's much more friendly to use, please make the one piece sweater, it is easier than the booties!

Janette Bell said...

Thank You Cat for the step-by-step tutorial on you tube. It was so easy to follow and made a pair of booties in 1 hour. I also made the cardigan sweater for a friend who is expecting her first baby girl this November. I can't believe how simple and easy these are to make in no time at all. Thanks Again Cat.

cats-rockin-crochet said...

You are most welcome Janette, thank you too :)

Sweeney said...

I don't even have kids and neither does anyone around me, I just made a pair to use up extra yarn. Just adorable! Will definitely save them for the next baby in the family. :)

Kim said...

Hello Cat, I have made these booties over and over again. I made several pair for a dear friend and she has said that these are the only booties that stay on her baby's feet, everything else she tries her baby kicks off. I just love these booties, so easy to crochet and very quick. Thanks for all your patterns. Keep 'em coming.

cats-rockin-crochet said...

thank you all for your feed back, cheers Cat.

Anonymous said...

i was wondering if there was a way to make then the ankle hight type of shoe instead of the traditional bootie if that makes sense. im only new to crocheting but i really want to make the more trndy lower cut shoe but all the patterns are not as easy as yours so i just wondered if i didnt go as high if that would work? cheers, beth

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Beth, just go for it, eliminate a few rows and you may have what you want, cheers Cat.

Jodie M. Cordell said...

I just made a pair of these for a baby shower and they're absolutely adorable! I think I'll make another pair just because they're so cute, easy to make and take so little time. Thank you for the wonderful pattern.

Anonymous said...

This is a cute and simple pattern suitable for scraps of yarn. I love to crochet and give gifts to the young waitresses where we dine when they are pregnant. This is perfect. Thanks for sharing.
Barb W Kansas USA

Anonymous said...

I make booties for pregnancy centers. I intend to try this pattern in the future. Thank you.

Maria Elena said...

Looking for easy to crochet baby stuff for my next grandson & found this pattern on Bobwilson123. Love it! So easy & cute. Had been looking for a while & tried other booties but this is the only one I really liked & made. Thank you very much!

Sandy said...

Love the booties.

Do you have the pattern for the hook holder in background in the pic of the finished booties. I believe its the 2nd from bottom pic on this page.

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Hi Sandy, firstly thank you and secondly I do not have a pattern for the hook holder. It's made from a sponge that was inside of a woopee cushion, you know the kind? I just crocheted around it, cheers Cat.

Christy Harris said...

My church group is thinking of doing some booties for Crisis Pregnancy Center and teaching the young ladys how to crochet at the same time. We may just use yours to do it. Thanks for sharing it!!

Cathy Wood said...

Hi Christy I love what you intend to do, good luck :)

Anonymous said...

What's the gage? Will Bernat Softee baby yarn be good to use?

Cathy Wood said...

no gauge, US 4 ply medium recommended, good luck :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the pattern, I make baby afghans for the womens center at my church, and now I can add baby booties. I hope I bring a smile to someones face with my donations, Leslie G

Anonymous said...

That was a fantastic tutorial for the booties. Thank You! My granbaby is going to be very comfy in them. Very Very Very nice and easy.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this pattern and tutorial. They are so dang cute and perfect size for a newborn.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing this fantastic pattern ! I used a larger hook to make a larger size for my 6 month old and it came out adorable! I will be making theses for my friends children and donating them to my church thanks again !

Patti said...

I love this bootie pattern.

Cathy Wood said...

Cheers for all your wonderful feed back,hank you XX00

Joy said...

Thank you so much for this pattern, I was fairly new to crochet when I found this and hadn't done anything but afghans, you inspired me to try new things and I just finished my first baby dress for a dear friend's 1st grandchild! Thank you so much again!

Cathy Wood said...

Thank you Joy, would love to see your work :)

Theresa Kelly said...

Wow, this tutorial is really outstanding. Thank you so much.

Cathy Wood said...

Cheers Theresa!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so, so much for this pattern! I recently had bad luck with free patterns, something never quite worked out. This was so easy to follow, and such cute results! I already made two pairs. Thank you so much for sharing your idea, and for writing such clear instructions!

Cathy Wood said...

You are very welcome :)

paula said...

Thank you for the pattern. Just finished 1st pair. Easy to follow pattern.paula

Brenda Rowland said...

Thank you so much for this great pattern!

Darla said...

I just made my first bootie and it turned out so cute! I'm making hats and booties for the Carmalite nuns in our community who support unwed mothers. Thank you so much for sharing your pattern!

Carol Smith said...

Thank you for a very easy pattern I have just made my 1 st pair of booties and found the pattern very easy to follow thanks also to Bob Wilson 123 for doing a u tube tutorial lovely pattern

Anonymous said...

I just finish watching this video. I will be crocheting the booties for a gift for a boy and girl who is almost 2 months. I kept searching youtube on how to crochet this type of bootie. Thank you very much for your easy step by step instructions.

Anonymous said...

I love making this pattern.. I have made over 35 of them in different colors.. haven't sold any.. just have given them as gifts... started making them while my husband was in the hospital and made me feel I was accomplishing something, not just sitting there... Thanks so much for sharing your pattern...

Anonymous said...

I want to thank you for sharing this pattern... I have made over 35 of them in different colors.. Started making them while my husband was in the hospital.. made my time there productive.. haven't sold any.. just have given as gifts... Thanks again...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this pattern. I enjoyed crocheting the booties for my niece's first baby due January 22. It'll go great with a little fleece hoodie outfit I bought. The tutorial is great. The best that I've seen. Happy crocheting!!!

Anonymous said...

These booties are easy and very cute. This was my first crochet project. Great instructions! The video made it much easier. Thank you.

Cindi Myers said...

Thanks so much for providing "us" beginners with this easy pattern.

Cathy Wood said...

cheers all!

Georganne Lambert said...

This is an easy pattern I only have made blankets and afghans before so this was a new an easy project to do thanks and how do you print it up the pattern if you can so I can make it again thanks again. Georganne Lambert

Anonymous said...

This is my first try at making booties. Wow was this easy. And so cute. I'm making mine for a birth center that helps out women in crises. They give each woman a set of booties with each sonogram. They needed volunteers and this is just perfect for that. Thanks for sharing.

M Hazeltine said...

I love these booties! My difficulties are that each bootie turns out just a tad bit different....I really try to follow the pattern and I still get some differences in the finished product. Other than my own mistakes I love the pattern.thank you!

Brenda Zvara said...

I will be making angel gowns for premies that don't make it (using my old wedding dress) and have been desperately looking for booties that would go with them. these are gonna be great! thank you so much for sharing!

Tilla Smit said...

Hi, want to do this for a baby of 3 months, I suppose I could just add a few stiches etc to make it larger, as well as a few rows to make the "cuff" longer.

Tracy said...

Love this pattern. I made it for the first time following the video to learn to read the pattern and I love. My mom wants me to make her a pair in adult size. No idea how to do that lol. I am trying the sweater now. Never made one before. Thank you so much!
Tracy - Ontario Canada

Maxine Jepsen said...

I Know this pattern has been commented on awhile ago but would just like to Thank You for the free pattern. The booties turned out very well & easily explained. Will be using it again in different color. THANKS !