Friday, July 18, 2014

Crochet Template For The Beginning of a One Piece Dress/Sweater/Jumper



One of the very first things you may ask when using this information is how many chain st's do I begin with?
If you think about making a hat and that you have to increase to a certain amount of st's for the hat to fit, that count will be the guide for you to make this to fit over the head of your subject
My subject is for a new born to 3 months and they need a hat with approx 60 st's that will fit their head, so I made a beginning ch of 60, then divided them as equally as I could to make a rectangle.
The rectangle is the beginning shape to fit the shoulder and neck area, that triangle will then become a square as st's are added to shape the garment and once again equally. 
Here is a drawing of what we are looking to achieve.

We also need to make these calculations knowing what yarn ply and hook size we are using.

This is my stitch count as I made the garment
As you can see, it begins in the shape of a rectangle
This fits well on my model
The increases are being made and the rectangle is slowly becoming a square
Which still fits well on my model
The square is now more obvious
The shape folds and forms a perfect garment

More rows and increases are made
Now you can really see the shape of the square, I have been using 10 ply and a 4 mm hook

If you would like written instructions, please leave a comment and I will be pleased to provide them.
 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the look in your pictures of your one piece dress/sweater/jumper. I would love to have the written instructions for it! My email is: casey.scase@yahoo.com
Thanks so much. Your work is beautiful. I admire anyone who can also write patterns! Have a great week!
Casey

Cathy Wood said...

Ok when I have the time, I'll write the instructions, cheers Cat.

Barbra said...

I have been afraid to try making clothes but this way of yours makes it sound a little less scary. I would love written instruction for this project and will be looking at your other posts. thank you

Cathy Wood said...

Thank you Barbra, I will endeavor to get this pattern in written form, with extras, cheers Cat.

Git - R - Done said...

love a copy

Malynda Schuler said...

I would really love the pattern for the One piece dress/Jumper/Sweater. My email address is tazimania4@gmail.com. Thank you so much

Tillman Treat said...

I have three beautiful granddaughters that I would like to make this for. If I am not too late please sent to firefighter1418@hotmail.com

crafty grandma said...

I just found out a few of my son's friends are having an addition to the family....would love to try this out instead of the standard blanket. You make it look so easy!!! Thanks for posting this inspiration
crafty.grandma.56@gmail.com

jana greenlee said...

I think this os adorable...im stoked that you can figure these things out...its strange to me even though I make drapery roman shades etc...I dont think I could fathom this sort of designing ....anyway thank you for the adorable little sweater
jg

Joan Afflick said...

I adore your creations! I'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate and your designs are great and very practical! Thanks so much! How much do you charge for this pattern?

Cathy Wood said...

thank you for your kind words, this will be a free pattern as usual, but I've had to take time away from pattern writing and crochet, I have care of 2 young grand children for the past 3 months, so until they are out of my care I don't have the time to write patterns as yet, hope to see you soon.

Bewayne said...

I would love to have the written instructions, my daughter would love to make this as would I!!! Thank you! Elaine Brown ibecrocheting@gmail.com

Lee Ann said...

She is so adorable!!!! The perfect little lady model! :)
Thank you for posting these directions too! :)
___
Lee Ann Http://crochetgottaloveit.blogspot.com

Intissar Ismail said...

For a while i was searching for template to help me understand more how to shape a dress or cardigan, finding your blog made my day thank you for putting times to help people like me trying to learn how to crochet thank you so much i love it. Best Regard