Saturday, September 18, 2010

Crochet for Summer

Want to make some crochet gifts for Christmas but you live in a hot climate at that time of year?
Well you still can with the help of some light and airy crochet stitches.
Below is a solomons knot st shawl, it was my first attempt at this st also known as the lovers stitch.
I watched some you tube demonstrations then followed this pattern to make the shawl.
The only thing different I would have liked was for the pattern to begin with a row of sc then work the solomons st off that. I did add a row of hdc to the top of the shawl after I finished the pattern, it seems to hold the whole thing in place much nicer.


Below is a scarf I made from recycled yarn, I got the pattern from the pattern book, Crochet Inspiration, pattern number 97 on page 100 of the pattern book. If you do not have this particular pattern book it is a must have for the crochet enthusiast.



Below is a simple crochet filet st made in the cotton I obtained from the yarn purchase below. To make this more appealing I hand sewed rows of small seed beads across the scarf.

I bought this mess of yarn from the second hand shop for $5.00.

After about an hour of sorting this is the amount of yarn I had, not bad for the price.

I'll be back with some more summer crochet idea's to share with you all.

Here is a lovers knot wrap (solomons knot) from a reader who was happy to share her wrap with us all, thank you so very much, you can view her site here.

  Here is another solomons knot shawl from Catarina, I think I like it more than mine :) and here is what she has to say about hers.

"Here is mine, I decided to do it to use on neck cause the size of the stich was not very perfect and equal :P but i like it :P"

6 comments:

throughthepriszm said...

The pink scarf is gorgeous! So is the solomon's knot shawl. I've done a version before as well, doing it as a rectangular wrap and wanted to share the picture with you. http://throughthepriszm.wordpress.com/2009/05/05/its-a-topsy-turvy-world/

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Thank you so much, I have seen your wrap and love it, I have left you a request, cheers Cat.

throughthepriszm said...

Feel free to post it and link back. I don't remember the name of the pattern, but I purchased it from E-Patterns.

~Sophisticate Style ~ said...

Love the solomon's knot shawls. They are beautiful.

**Yolie

TheHookinHousewife said...

I love that I am not the only one excited to purchase second hand yarn! I get really good deals that way but generally have to go out of state to do it! I'm definately gonna follow your blog you have some amazing things on here. Check me out sometime!

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Thanks Hookinhousewife, I'm your first follower on your blog, some how my real name was used, Cathy Wood, so that's me good luck with your hookin and I'll look you up on facebook :)