Friday, June 25, 2010

Granny Stitch Hat Pattern With an Added Granny Square For An Ear Flap

It pays to scour the web for inspiration.
I was going to write my own pattern for a hat like this granny st hat, but I came across a free one that was easy to read and to make up.
The hat is for a child.

But I was planning a different look, so here are my changes.
The hat is made as per the pattern, I made up a granny square of 3 rounds and placed the square in a triangular position onto the hat for an ear flap.

I placed 2 corners on the very edge of the hat edge and sewed them into position.

I made sure they were placed apart to fit correctly over the ears.

For the ties with 2 strands of yarn held together, I chained 50, then made a mini cork screw on one end.

I also did a row of sc around the hat before I sewed on the ties.
And here is the result, simple yet effective.
I used 8 ply yarn and a 4.00 mm hook.

Here is a tutorial for the corkscrew.


Here is a tutorial for a granny square.