Monday, December 1, 2008

Flowers that grow in my garden

Now I am no green thumb at all and cannot even tell you the names of these plants. But what I do know about gardening is that I can break off parts of some plants and either stick them straight into the ground or into a bit of water and the cutting will survive, giving me another plant that I know I can grow successfully. These are all pretty hardy drought resistent plants and most of them are succulents.

A cutting from my Mum.


An old cutting from my Mother-in-Law


A plant from my Mother-in-Law, flowers mid year.


More cuttings I have put through out the garden.

I can take cuttings off this cacti, it flowers once a year.

This is a prickly little cacti, flowers once a year.


This succulent flowers just before xmas.


First time flowering for this one.

They are only tiny, but I never knew it flowered.

6 comments:

Sherryknit said...

My husband goes nutes for suculants. We have a few in the house But HE loves them. Every time we go somewhere that they have them he HAS to buy one.
The last picture with the long trailing one with the flower. That is one of my favorites. They are very expensive here. I quess cause we are colder in this area. I don't have one of them ones.
Very pretty plants

cats-rockin-crochet said...

HI Sherry, when my Mother in law passed away I took lots of her plants from the house and this is one of many of her plants, I re-potted most of them and I think that is why it has taken so long to flower for me.

2twins :) said...

I have a purple heart as well. Hubby picked it up for me a few years ago for Mother's Day. It's in a planter box so I can bring it in for our cold winter's. I don't know if it would survive -20 to -40C!

cats-rockin-crochet said...

2twins, I don't even know the names of these plants, could you let me know which one is the purple heart?

2twins said...

It's the first picture. DH bought it because he'd never seen one like like it before. He hasn't seen one here since either. They go green without sunlight. Not near as pretty. :)

cats-rockin-crochet said...

2twins, thank you so much. The first cutting ever of that plant came from my grandma, so it has a long line of history.