Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Crochet Rag Bag

My crochet rag bags
I saw this being done over at laughingpurples blog and I just had to try it.
I already knew I had supplies in my linen closet as I had planned just prior to this project to clean it out and give it to charity, doona covers, pillow cases, curtains, just to name a few. So far I have used, 4 pillow cases, 1 curtain and I'm starting on a pair of jeans that shrunk (LOL).

The beginning
The ball.
Another beginning.
This far into the project I have used 4 pillow cases and a curtain.
Now the jeans.
So now the denim is a ball of denim to use

Oh no, the denim is too thick for my bag,I don't want to damage it, so now I am cutting it down the middle, which will give me twice as much and thinner, but ouch! my fingers hurt whilst cutting it.




I'll be back with more!


Here it is finished. The denim was tough to crochet with. I made a flower to place on the bag but I did not like it, so I will leave it without embelishment until I know for sure what I want. I made the handles so as Icould throw it over my shoulder or hold it with my hand. Nothing fancy all sc and chain one with the handle, the rest of the bag was made all in sc. I usually crochet in the back loop only when I am going from the base to the sides of the bag, but it was not quite possible here, so I did a back post sc instead, which had a similar effect. I have used an 8mm hook (US L/H)



My daughter Cristy models the bag over the shoulder.

Here is a link for some more rag idea's.

15 comments:

laughing purple goldfish said...

oh dear... it looks as though I might have led you astray!
pleased to see you are having fun with it... but I should have warned you about how addictive it is... oops!

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Addictive, yes, 2am this morning I put it down.

Arty Lady's blog said...

Looks fantastic. You are extremely creative!

Hugs
Liz.

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Thanks Liz, glad to see you here.

laughing purple goldfish said...

those denim handles are going to be so sturdy... excellent!
as for the embellishment... I sometimes pin one on rather than sewing it on... that way I can change it as my mood fancies (just a thought)

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Thats a great idea laughingpurple, thanks.

Stramenda said...

Great bag, I love the colours too. Well done ! So did Cristy go home with it? LOL

cats-rockin-crochet said...

No it is not her style, she was not even tempted.

Crochet Diva said...

I love this look. I've been wanting to crochet a rag rug, but hadn't thought of a bag! :)

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Oh you must do it diva, it's so much fun.
Cat.

Anonymous said...

hola me pueden ayudar ,quiero saber cuanto miden las tiras de tela , de ancho,para tejer crochet y si sirve cualquier clase de tela ?y como las unen para siguir tejiendo cuando se termina una tira en el trabajo -perdonen no se ingles ya e mandado mail , creo que a ustedes con la misma pregunta .si no pueden contestarme en español pero entienden lo que pregunto .pongan en esta pag una respuesta con una foto .perdon por la molestia y gracias soy nair de uruguay

Anonymous said...

hola me pueden ayudar ,quiero saber cuanto miden las tiras de tela , de ancho,para tejer crochet y si sirve cualquier clase de tela ?y como las unen para siguir tejiendo cuando se termina una tira en el trabajo -perdonen no se ingles ya e mandado mail , creo que a ustedes con la misma pregunta .si no pueden contestarme en español pero entienden lo que pregunto .pongan en esta pag una respuesta con una foto .perdon por la molestia y gracias soy nair de uruguay

cats-rockin-crochet said...

Trnaslated....

hello can they help me, I want to know all that they measure the strips of cloth, of breadth, to weave crochet and if it serves any class of cloth? and since they join them for siguir weaving when a strip is finished in the work - they excuse already English not and errand mail, I believe that with the same question .si they me cannot answer you in Spanish but understand what I ask .pongan in this pag about a response with a photo .perdon about the inconvenience and thank you I am nair of uruguay

cats-rockin-crochet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cats-rockin-crochet said...

http://translation2.paralink.com/

Translater. Here.